Friday, August 17, 2012

Samik Swimming Pool

I've always been rather unobservant, but it's gotten so much worse in Korea. Perhaps it's because I can't understand most of the signs or because it all looks the same. But it's really no excuse for it taking me 9 months to realize that there is a swimming pool right next to my apartment building. To be fair, it is underground. But still. Since it is ungodly hot here and my foot is still injured (tore the ligaments when I was volunteering at the orphanage) swimming is really the only form of exercise that appeals to me right now.

So I joined the swimming pool and it has provided me with so many good stories. And it's only been a week.

When I signed up for my membership I had a very long broken English conversation with the employee about the times to swim. He told me that on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays it is free swim time. But on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays there are lessons. So I asked, "I can't swim on Mondays, Wednesdays, or Fridays?" "Yes, you can." ???? As it turns out I can swim on any of the days and there are always swim lessons. So I'm still not sure what he was trying to communicate.

Then I walked into the locker room and was surrounded by buck-naked Korean women and children. A bit of a shock since Koreans are very chaste in general (a tank top is considered slutty). After my swim I ran into one of my students, Brandon, who came up, held my hand, and said hello. And I thought to myself, 'I'm so glad he's a boy and I don't have to see him in the locker room."

The next time, I ran into one of my female students in the locker room...half naked. Talk about awkward.

The next time, I got run over by an ajumma (Korean grandmother) in the swimming lane. We wear goggles so we don't run into people in the the pool, don't we?

The next time, I got in trouble for having wet feet...in the locker room... at the swimming pool...???

The last time, one of the ajummas was trying to fix me up with one of the swim instructors.

Oh, Korea.

No comments:

Post a Comment